These are based on a recipe of the Women’s Weekly “The Big Book of Beautiful Biscuits” that was my favourite childhood recipe book. Well second favourite after the birthday cake book.
These choc chip cookies are what I missed a lot after I had to go dairy free although my husband says I’d never made them for him before so maybe it was just knowing that I couldn’t have them that made me miss them.
125g canola oil (or oil of your choice but I’d recommend against using one with a strong taste)
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 and 3/4 cups self raising flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
50 g dairy free dark chocolate chopped up into small pieces
- Mix together oil, sugars and vanilla.
- Add in the egg and mix together.
- Add in the flour and salt, and mix slowly at first to make sure it doesn’t spill out of the bowl, then mix properly together.
- Add chocolate and mix into the dough. See if it looks to be enough chocolate for you – the original recipe uses a lot more but I’ve found that I need a lot less when using dark chocolate.
- Use a spoon to scoop out small amounts of the dough (between a teaspoon and tablespoon), roll or shape into a ball (depending on the texture of the mixture you might need to just shape into an approximate ball shape) and place on lightly greased oven trays. I do about 12 per tray (I make mine using a tablespoon), it makes two trays.
- Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 10-12 minutes.